Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Things I never thought I would do....as a mom


I never thought I would chase a stranger down in a store because she was saying mean things to my toddler who was having a HUGE melt down.

I never thought I would have to know how many steps need to be taught  for using the potty,  putting on socks, or clearing a plate.

I never thought I would be buying diapers for a 10 year old.

I never thought I would be going to ABA, speech and Occupational Therapy instead of ballet or baseball.

I never thought I would have to fight so hard for someone to get an education they need and deserve.

I never thought I would learn to block punches from my own child.

I never thought I could feel so desperate to help someone.

I never thought I would fight to get my child in a school made for children with disabilities.

I never thought I would hurt so bad when someone said the word retard even if they didn't mean it "that" way

I never thought I would feel so alone even in the midst of a crowd.

BUT you know what? as heart breaking as this process has been I have found treasure inside the tears.

I never thought I would be so thankful when my child bounced in a bounce house for the first time when she was 7. The only parents even watching were Megan's parents and we were crying from the joy that filled our hearts.

I never thought about what it was to unconditionally love some one. (yeah until now)

I never thought I could be so happy when a child finally read after 9 years!

I never thought I would meet  a group of parents that would be better described as super heroes. Extra ordinary is a perfect way to describe them.

You know what? I really wasn't aware that autism is an entirely  different culture. well I'm well aware now

AND, finally ....

I never thought my heart and my life could ever be and would ever be so full!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful....and so true

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful You are an amazing!!! You are beautiful and an great example of unconditional. I am very grateful and sometimes take for granted that I have a healthy son and dont have to face the same challenges you have. You are wonderful! I love you!

    ReplyDelete